Monday, May 3, 2010

If my life was a movie...

I love dance movies.  I wish I was the young girl fighting to make it to Julliard or to prove my parents wrong or working to unite my urban neighborhood or to dance the cha cha in the face of a political revolution!

Below is a list of my top 5 favorite dance movies in no particular order:

1)  Save the Last Dance
- ballerina's mother dies, she moves to Chicago's south side, meets boy, learns hip hop from boy, falls in love with boy and gets into Julliard.



- girl moves to Cuba in 1950's, meets local bus boy, enters Latin dance contest, parents disapprove, interrupted by national revolution, still fall in love and know they will dance again though she must return to the States.


- ballerinas at a school in NYC, promising dancer falls for bad-boy choreographer, later realizes she's meant to be with (straight) ballerina boy.  Peter Gallagher and music by Jamiroquai.  Doesn't get much better than this. 


- this actually happened at my high school!  I'm the daughter of a minister from a small town and a boy (with great hair) from the big city came and helped us put on the prom of our dreams and we showed the town we were really all professional dancers who had been suppressed by our elders in the community!  ok, I totally made that up, but it sounds pretty sweet.

 

5)  Step Up
- this may be my favorite one.  Troublemaker (hottie) is sentenced to work in a school for the performing arts.  Turns out he's a hip hop dancer so he starts working with a ballerina at the school for a competition, then they teach each other new moves, fall in love, fight, then dance in the grand finale and he gets accepted into the school.  Hell ya!


 

2 comments:

  1. I looooove Center Stage.

    Makes me want to be a ballerina. And when they perform at the end to the Michael Jackson song. Awesomeness at its awesomest

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a great great movie. not enough respect.

    'the way you make me feel' -soooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete