Thursday, April 8, 2010

Officer Not-So-Friendly

So the past two mornings have been quite eventful at la casa de Heylee & Kate.  A man has been banging on our door, for about 5 minutes each time at 8:45 a.m. yesterday and starting at 6:45 a.m. today.  He was in plain clothes but had a badge around his neck and paperwork in his hands.  We didn't answer either time... I know I know, we are chickens.  But Uptown can be scary!  Two years ago there was a string of burglaries and hold-up all over Uptown especially at some of the nicer locations.

This man was arrested last year in connection to the burglaries and also a 1988 sexual assault.  Earlier this week a young woman was attacked in broad daylight when a man jumped into her car in the State Thomas neighborhood.  He hit her and stabbed her once and then fled with $40 from her wallet. 


Back to my story, we didn't answer the door either morning and the man eventually left.  But, when I walked out of the apartment this morning, he was standing in the hall waiting for me.  I quickly locked the door behind me and turned to say 'you scared me!'  He replied, 'i scared you, huh?'

My entire life briefly passed in front of my eyes.  Who will take the Kate Escape 2?  What if I never see all my friends get married this year?  What if I miss Patty's bday dinner part 2 at Houston's on Saturday?  Who will take care of Piper!?

I held it together though.  Turns out he was a detective looking for an Ashley M-something.  He had paperwork to give her about a traffic accident.  I told him to check with the office since I've lived in my apt for over a year.  He left, probably super annoyed, but I felt much better knowing we didn't have some creepasaurous rex trying to break in our apartment.  (Yes, I even cruised the baseball bat aisle yesterday in Target afternoon.)

In any case, I just wanted to remind everyone that summertime can be a little scary and people get desperate, especially in this economy.

And if your name is Ashley M-something.  Watch out, the detective is coming for you.

Guard Cats

1 comment:

  1. My neightbors car got stole last night
    right out of his driveway.
    We heard the dogs barking,
    we never paid them any mind.
    And mary says she's gonna lock the door
    from now on when we go away.
    I've been walking around this farm
    wondering if it's time...

    Time to get a gun.
    Thats what I've been thinking.
    I could afford one,
    if I did just a little less drinking.

    Time to put something,
    between me and the sun.
    When the talking is over
    it's time to get a gun.

    ReplyDelete