Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pets and Saved by the Bell

I'm not crazy about all animals.  Yes, they are cute and fluffy and I love animal jokes and pics, but a lot of them kind of freak me out.  I don't like anything that jumps on me or licks me.  Big dogs freak me out too.  I had a bad experience as a 10 year old in a windsuit when a 200 lb beast of a dog (ok maybe not that much) charged me.  I think my life of Pogs, Slap Bracelets and those little clippy things you would stuff your oversized tshirt in to give it that 'gathered at the hip' look flashed before my eyes.

My 90's Idol
Kelly Kapowski

Say it with me... 'I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so... scared!'



Ok, back to pets!  I just learned about the pet adoption world here in Dallas about a year and a half ago.  Petfinder.com is where I started when I decided after years of begging that I would adpot a kitty.  When I was little I used to always ask my parents for a cat (they are dog people) and until I was about 18 or 19 I believed them when they said we couldn't because my dad was allergic.  They made it up, unbelievable!  

There are literally hundreds and hundred of animals available for adoption through various shelters and rescue groups.  You can narrow your search by location and animal type.  Yes, even reptiles, horses and 'small & furry.'  ...I'm not even going to make a joke there, it's too easy.

And we're back on track.  Heylee volunteers for Paws in the City.  I joined her once at an adoption event.  I got to walk some cute pups on that chilly rainy day.  They also have a lot of great fundraising events throughout the year.  Margaritas for Mutts?  Yes please!!

I adopted my kitty from A Different Breed just over a year ago.  Most of you know that I looooove my cat.  I'm so thankful to have such a great kitty and so excited that she's stuck with me until I'm in my 40's.  Wait, that sounds OLD!  I won't gush on here about how smart and cute and playful and snuggly she is.  Basically if I were a cat, I'd be just like Piper, ha!

                                   Look at that face!!

If you are interested in adopting a pet go check out Petfinder.  It's a great place to start if you want a new pal, even and small and furry one!

No comments:

Post a Comment