Thursday, July 29, 2010

Facebook rant

So today, I stumbled upon an article on MSNBC.com called We're through -- now get off my Facebook page.  It's an interesting take on how technology and social networking, specifically Facebook, has changed the rules of dating and breaking-up.  No longer do we flip our stuff over "You've got mail!" but now our lives are shaken by the choices of 'single,' 'in a relationship,' 'married,' and my favorite... the blank status, to keep everyone on their toes. 

"Facebook stalking" (something I would never ever do, ha!) is also examined.  The basics of "stalking" typically refers to following your ex's every move from what is posted on their wall to who their new friends are.  This is also a term used for your crush-of-the-week.  I am a firm believer in de-friending anyone I've gone out with, so then I don't even have to obsess over any new posts of friendships spelled-out across someone else's wall.  But, that's just me... and it also prevents me from being even creepier than normal.

I cut about 300 'friends' from my Facebook network about 6 months ago, but still this wasn't quite enough.  Recently, I have taken a leave of absence from the 100+ million member site for an undetermined amount of time.  I have been an active member since the beginning of time.  Well, at least since Facebook hit the halls of the Theta house at the University of Oklahoma in 2004.  My break, turning my account inactive, has actually been pretty good for me the past 2 weeks.  I no longer reach for my phone every 5 minutes to check status updates, I don't scan through pictures of people's ugly weddings, boring vacations, or my favorite, the growing baby bump.  Best of all, I have refrained from stalking any ex-boyfriends or old sorority sisters who share way more than is ever necessary with the world and who actually makes my life seem normal.

I will reactivate soon I'm sure.  My time off is brief and refreshing, but I do miss keeping up with my good friends.  I especially am missing the frequent emails between my friend group with topics such as 'what is she wearing?!' 'did you see that post from so-and-so' and 'is she really dating him!?'

Until then, I'll leave you with some photos of the gals and I from the good old days:

Name-those-pledge-sisters.  Thetas circa 2006.  I keep up with about 3/4 of these girls on Facebook only.

Saying goodbye to college forever!  And goodbye to the grand days when Facebook was only for college students.  Now everyones co-worker, mom and dog want to be your best friend online.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment